Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Film...A dying art?

Although film is still very much alive in the world of fine art, it is a fact it is becoming more and more scarce.  In 2007, I opted to take a photography class where I could learn film photography and developing in the dark room.  We had a choice between digital or film and I jumped at the chance to do film since I hadn't done it in high school.  There has been nothing more educational with regards to learning proper exposure, dodging, burning and how to develop for printing processes.  I can testify to the fact that the availability of film has become dramatically limited in the last couple of years.  By the time I was finishing up my semester, I had already had to switch to buying the black and white from another store 3 hours away or online as my previous vendor could no longer guarantee their supply.  If you ever have the chance to take film photography, DO IT! Spending hours in the darkroom was both fun and relaxing and schools have become just about the only place you can have access to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment